måndag 8 november 2010

Impressive minimalism

Many times when people have entered my tiny room here in the guest house, they've been surprised of how clean and nice it is, and often say that they'd like to have their rooms in the same way. I can't blame them, I really like how my room looks and feels. Thing is it's not very hard to fix.

Solution:
1. Don't buy more stuff to put in
2. Get rid of stuff you don't use

And if you follow step 1 and step 2 every once in a while, you'll get there :)

The only thing I really miss with my 1.8m x 2.5m space (which is mostly being covered up by a built in closet, a built in bed, a refridgerator and a desk) is a place to hang by laundry.

Even though the point with living with less stuff and buying less isn't that, you can actually be admired for having less. Lots and lots of people think it's precisely the other way around, how mixed up things can get!

When I went here, I brought nothing but one backpack of essentials and my guitar (in a guitar case), and far more people have been (I think) inspired by that than would I've brought 2 fat travelling bags packed with things I don't need.

If you want help on how to let go of stuff you don't use or need but you still want to keep, you can check out this post by Leo Babauta's mnmlist. He's also written a post about how to easier follow Step 1.

Why would you even think of doing this? There're lots of reasons! There are many people writing about them, like Everett Bougue, Leo Babauta and Tammy Strobel.

The person who got me to start think about this stuff, and change my life for the better, is no one less than my awesome friend André Fohlin. Thank you, André! :D

Remember: Live life, don't fill it with crap!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar